Thursday, April 28, 2011

A bunch of "Firsts"

   Over the past couple weeks, I've had several big "firsts"occur.  Yesterday, I caught and held a hummingbird for the very first time...very cool.  Savannah was also there and got to pet the hummingbird, which was a first that most people don't ever get to do in their whole lifetime.  The bird had made her way into the garage, but couldn't figure out how to get back out even though the door was wide open.  She was humming along and bouncing against the white ceiling as if it was the sky I guess, and after so much of that, she was just plain tuckered out. So much so, that all it took from me was to extend the broom out to her and she took the opportunity to land and rest on the bristles of it.  After several tries, I was able to successfully pull the broom back close enough to me without her taking off that I could grab her.  We let her go outside and she barely had enough strength to fly up to a nearby branch.  Another first--I've never seen a hummingbird fly so slow.  
   A "first" that I'm not to happy about, was the first time I've had a tree fall on my house.  With the storm that rolled through last Friday, I got a call at work from my neighbor saying that one of our tall trees next to the house was now at a 45 degree angle against the eave of the house. The base of the tree had rotted out just below the surface, and the with the water logged ground, the wind had it's way with the tree.  
   On the Saturday before, I also bought our first minivan.  Yes, I said it...I am now a man with a van.  However, I do get to keep my man-card since I'm still driving my truck on a daily basis. (By the way...the minivan is sweet!) 
    And last but not least, this week officially marks the first time I have changed employers as a physical therapist.  They say that the average time a physical therapist will stay in a single location is 2 years.  I find that hard to believe, but then again, I'm a person who has been at STAR for nearly 7 years now.  I'm bidding STAR goodbye, though, to go to work now for Vanderbilt Sports Medicine.  Downside...traffic, schedule, and not as much PTO as I had with STAR, but many upsides also seeing that it allows me to pursue many of my own  personal goals and will be a fun place to work.  I've enjoyed most of my time with STAR, so it's a bittersweet goodbye I guess.  
      On the flip side, I guess I could say that I was able to avoid the first time I went a whole year between blog entries.  

No comments: